Now that Jython has released it's 2.2 version and has some progress on 2.3 features, I decided to try Django on it. As you can see on thte screenshot above, I got the development server running. And there is some progress on getting database syncing to work:
lsoto@colinux:~/src/hellodjango$ createdb hellodjango CREATE DATABASE lsoto@colinux:~/src/hellodjango$ CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar ~/src/jython/trunk/jython/jython.sh manage.py syncdb Creating table auth_permission Creating table auth_user Creating table auth_message Creating table auth_group Creating table django_content_type Creating table django_session Creating table django_site You just installed Django's auth system, which means you don't have any superusers defined. Would you like to create one now? (yes/no): yes Username: admin E-mail address: admin Error: That e-mail address is invalid. E-mail address: email@example.com Warning: Problem with getpass. Passwords may be echoed. Password: 123 Warning: Problem with getpass. Passwords may be echoed. Password (again): 123 Traceback (innermost last): File "manage.py", line 11, in ? [...] File "/home/lsoto/src/django.svn.trunk/django/db/backends/postgresql_zxjdbc/base.py", line 86, in execute Error: ERROR: la columna Â«is_staffÂ» es de tipo boolean pero la expresiÃ³n es de tipo integer [SQLCode: 0], [SQLState: 42804]
So here are the steps I've done until now:
- Get the development (SVN) source of both project. As Django requires python >= 2.3, I didn't tried Jython 2.2. I'm using mercurial to maintain my "branch", so I made a mercurial mirror of django svn repository and another mercurial repository for my changes
- Build Jython using ant
- Add Django directory to Jython path (copying the registry file to dist/ and editing the python.path line).
- Add some modules from Jython's CPythonLib/ to dist/Lib directory: optparse.py, gettext.py, locale.py and getpass.py4. Cook a simple script to run jython from the shell
- Apply these two patches to jython. The later is not really a fix, but it allowed me to forget that bug for a while.
- Modify django source where needed:
All the changes concerning Django are on my mercurial repository, so you can easily get a patched source tree using mercurial:
$ hg clone https://hg.leosoto.com/django.jythonport
Pending short-term goals:
- syncdb should work* The test suite should run